The Colorado Children’s Trust Fund recently awarded $396,642 to 20 Colorado agencies that offer child-abuse and neglect-prevention services, public education programs and program evaluation activities in local communities.
Colorado State University’s department of social work in the College of Applied Human Sciences administers the trust fund. The fund is supported by an additional $10 fee on marriage licenses, federal grants and contributions.
The fund provides grants to Colorado-based organizations that deal with child-abuse and neglect-prevention programs focused on strengthening families.
In Colorado, 23 children died during 1995 as a result of child abuse and neglect, with 5,993 cases of maltreatment confirmed. The trust fund focuses its support on parent education and home visitor programs designed to help all parents through pregnancy and the first few years of their children’s lives.
The Colorado Children’s Trust Fund awarded one-year grants for July 1997 to June 1998 to the following Colorado agencies:
- American Humane Association, Statewide Enhancement of Home Visitation Programs: A Mechanism for Evaluation Phase 2, Statewide; $16,000.
- Aurora Mental Health Center, Parents as Teachers, Aurora; $15,000.
- Cognitive Associates: Research and Evaluation (CA:RE), PLC- Teen Parent Initiative Part II, Denver; $12,950.
- Commerce City Community Health Services, Creating a Neglect Prevention Zone Partnership, Commerce City; $40,582.
- Cross Community Coalition, Strengthening Healthy Families, Denver; $10,000.
- Elbert School District #200, Elbert County Interagency Services, Elbert; $5,000.
- Family Visitor Program, Teen Parent, Glenwood Springs; $18,550.
- First Visitor, First Visitor Program, Colorado Springs; $16,000.
- Grand Futures Prevention Coalition, Cradle Connections, Granby; $16,000.
- Lutheran Family Services of Colorado, Fostering Family Strengths: Prevention of Child Abuse Program, Fort Collins; $15,000.
- Otero County Health Department, Newborn Visitation Program, La Junta; $30,811.
- Parenting Place, Inc., Parenting Education-The Nurturing Program, Boulder; $11,399.
- Pueblo City/County Health Department, La Familia Fuerte/Strong Families: A Home Visitation Program, Pueblo; $20,000.
- Regional Home Visitation Program, Baby Bear Hugs, 11 eastern counties; $59,990.
- Saint Joseph Hospital, Boot(ee) Camp for New Dads, Denver; $18,000.
- Summit County Youth & Family Services, Summit County Child Abuse Prevention Program, Frisco; $6,360.
- Tri-County Health Department, Mothers First-The New Generation, Englewood; $20,000.
- United Way of Weld County, Inc., Weld County Child Abuse Coalitions’s Neglect Prevention Project; $25,000.
- West End Family Link Center, Welcome Home and Beyond, Nucla; $10,000.
- Work and Family Resource Center, Community College of Denver, Child Neglect Media Campaign, Statewide; $30,000.
For more information on these programs or the Colorado Children’s Trust Fund, contact Joyce Jennings at (303) 446-8860.