The Colorado Children’s Trust Fund recently awarded $237,705 to 12 Colorado agencies that offer child abuse and neglect prevention services, pubic education programs and program evaluation activities in local communities.
Colorado State University’s department of social work in the College of Applied Human Sciences administers the trust fund. Sources of funding for the fund are marriage license fees, federal grants and contributions.
During 1997 in Colorado, there were 5,409 confirmed cases of child abuse and neglect. The Colorado Children’s Trust Fund was established by law to help prevent child abuse and neglect. The fund provides grants to community-based organizations focused on supporting and strengthening families.
The trust fund directs support toward parent education and home visitor programs designed to support all parents through pregnancy and the first few years of their children’s lives. The Colorado Children’s Trust Fund awarded one-year grants for July 1998-June 1999 to the following Colorado agencies.
* Aurora Mental Health Center, Parents as Teachers, Aurora; $14,000.
* Commerce City Community Health Services, Keep Me Safe Program, Commerce City; $38,761.
* Family Visitor Program, Teen Parent, Glenwood Springs; $17,550.
* Lutheran Family Services of Colorado, Fostering Family Strengths: Prevention of Child Abuse Program-Visiting Friend Project, Fort Collins; $12,000.
* Mountain Resource Center, Family Advocate Training, Conifer; $15,000.
* Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association Inc., Home Visitation Program, Steamboat Springs; $22,615.
* Otero County Health Department, Newborn Visitation Program, La Junta; $25,000.
* Parenting Place, Inc., The Nurturing Program, Boulder; $11,238.
* Saint Joseph Hospital, Boot(ee) Camp for New Dads, Denver; $16,800.
*Teen Resources Inc., ParenTeen, Colorado Springs; $28,000.
* Urban Children’s Coalition, Supporting Healthy Families/Visitante Program, Denver; $11,741.
* Work and Family Resource Center, Community College of Denver, "Think Ahead: Keep Me Safe," Child Neglect Prevention Statewide Media Campaign; $30,000.
For more information on these programs or the Colorado Children’s Trust Fund, contact Joyce Jennings at (303) 446-8860.