Colorado State University will confer degrees on Spring 2001 graduates at commencement ceremonies May 11 and 12.
College ceremonies and a ROTC commissioning will recognize 2,784 undergraduates and 902 graduate students, of which 98 are doctoral students. One hundred and thirty-one professional veterinary medicine students will graduate. Thirty-four students will graduate summa cum laude, 84 will graduate magna cum laude and 159 will graduate cum laude.
Among this year’s commencement speakers are Ray Chamberlain, Colorado State President from 1969-79; John Raich, dean of the College of Natural Sciences; and Kerry Hicks, CEO of HealthGrades.com.
Chamberlain is vice president of Parsons Brinckerhoff, the world’s largest transportation engineering consulting firm. He earned a doctoral degree from Colorado State University and he has received honorary degrees from Michigan State University, Washington State University and the University of Denver and was elected chairman of the National Association of State University and Land-Grant Colleges. Following his academic career, Chamberlain served as executive director of the Colorado Department of Transportation.
John Raich received his Ph.D. from Iowa State University before starting his career at Colorado State University as a research associate in the field of solid-state and chemical physics. Raich, who has been dean for the College of Natural Sciences since 1984, will step down fall 2001.
Kerry Hicks, CEO of HealthGrades.com, received a bachelor’s in business administration from Colorado State and now is a candidate this spring for a master’s in computer information systems at the university. He is the Honor Alumni for 2001 in the College of Business and was recognized as the 2000 Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year in the e-business category for the Rocky Mountain Region.
Following is a complete list of graduation speakers, starting times and locations for each ceremony.
- Professional Veterinary Medicine-speaker: Susan Deines, 11 a.m., B.W. Pickett Equine Center
- Graduate School-speaker: John C. Raich, 3 p.m., Moby Arena
- ROTC Commissioning-speaker: Major General Robert L. Halverson, 3 p.m., Lory Student Center
- College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences-speaker: Susan Deines, 7 p.m., B.W. Pickett Equine Center
- College of Applied Human Sciences-James Banning, 7:30 p.m., Moby Arena
- College of Agriculture Science-speaker: Alan Foutz, 9 a.m., B.W. Pickett Equine Center
- College of Natural Sciences-speaker: John C. Raich, 9 a.m., Moby Arena
- College of Engineering-speaker: Ray Chamberlain, 1 p.m., B.W. Pickett Equine Center
- College of Liberal Arts-speaker: James Boyd, 1 p.m., Moby Arena
- College of Natural Resources-speaker: Evan Vlachos, 5 p.m., B.W. Pickett Equine Center
- College of Business-speaker: Kerry Hicks, 5 p.m., Moby Arena
For more information about spring commencement exercises at Colorado State, call Evelyn Grace in the Provost’s Office at (970) 491-4377.