The chief executive officer of the world’s largest gold producer will be the capstone speaker at Colorado State University’s 24th annual Business Day on Feb 5.
Wayne W. Murdy, CEO of Newmont Mining Corp., has successfully led the company to its ranking as the third best performing company on the Standard and Poors 500 index for 2002. He will speak at 8 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theater, an event that is free and open to the public. Murdy will address "Corporate Citizenship in the 21st Century."
Murdy was elected chairman of Newmont Mining Corp. in January 2002. He became Newmont’s chief executive officer in January 2001 and has served on Newmont’s board of directors since Sept. 1999. Headquartered in Denver, Newmont is the world’s largest gold producer with a market capitalization in excess of $10 billion, total assets in excess of $9 billion on five continents and 13,500 employees worldwide.
Another key speaker, David Oreck, the founder and chairman of the Oreck Corp., will talk about building a brand name in America. He will speak at 1:15 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theater.
In its 40th year of operation, Oreck Corp. is one of the country’s top domestic manufacturers of premium vacuum cleaners and other household appliances.
For five decades, Oreck has been the company’s chief spokesman, appearing in newspaper, magazine, television and radio advertisements across the country. He was recently named one of the country’s most recognized personalities.
In addition, Al Lewis, business editor at the Denver Post, will speak about the current topic of corporate fraud at 11 a.m. in Room 224 of the Lory Student Center.
Business Day was developed in 1979 by the Business College Council and the College of Business in cooperation with the Associated Students of Colorado State University. The first speaker who helped kick off the tradition of Business Day was Ronald Reagan, who was then the former governor of California. Malcolm Forbes followed the next year.
All of the seminars are free and open to the public. The reception and dinner with keynote speaker Murdy is a reservation-only event. Tickets for the reception and dinner are $17.50 and can be purchased until Feb. 3 by calling Gladys Eddy at (970) 491-5325.
Several corporate presidents, CEOs and other business leaders will speak during Business Day. A full roster of events follows. All events take place in the Lory Student Center on the Colorado State campus unless otherwise indicated.
- 8:30 a.m. Room 224-226Bill Shuster, assistant director of Career Center, Colorado State University: "Career Destinations: Your Roadmap to Success."
- 9 a.m. Room 228 Michael Webb, CEO, Venture Vortex Inc.: "Value-Aligned Leadership."
- 9 a.m. North Ballroom Stephanie Allen, president, The Athena Group: "Women in Leadership: When Ethics and Opportunity Collide."
- 10 a.m. Room 228 Jan Horsfall, president, White Summit Strategies Inc.: "Are you a Pioneer or a Settler?"
- 10 a.m. North Ballroom Jerome Grady, president, Grady Enterprises Inc.: "If You Love Someone, Set Them Free; If They Come Home, Set Them on Fire."
- 10 a.m. Room 224-226 Chris Calvert, Security Operations and Intelligence for IBM: "Information Security."
- 11 a.m. Room 228 Chris Miller, analyst, Cascade Investment – the private investment firm for Bill Gates and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation: "Private Equity: Strategies and Structuring."
- 11a.m. North Ballroom Damian Smith, vice president, Experio Solutions: "Luck, Strategy and Integrity: The Keys to Success in Business and Your Career."
- 11 a.m. Room 224-226 Al Lewis, business editor, Denver Post: "Corporate Fraud."
- 1:15 p.m. Lory Student Center David Oreck, founder and chairman of Oreck TheaterCorp.: "Building a Brand."
- 4:30 p.m. Room 228 Wayne Murdy, CEO, Newmont Mining: Informal discussion.
- 5:30 p.m. University Club Reception (reservations only).
- 6:30 p.m.North BallroomBusiness Day Banquet (reservations only).
- 8:00 p.m. Lory Student CenterWayne Murdy: Keynote speaker – free and open Theater to the public.
For more information about Business Day at Colorado State, visit http://www.biz.colostate.edu/events/businessday.htm.