Colorado State University’s state-of-the-art chemistry/biosciences building will officially be named Albert C. Yates Hall at a dedication ceremony on the north side of the new building at 3:15 on April 24. The advanced facility, devoted to undergraduate education, is being dedicated to Yates in tribute to his 13-year leadership of the university, enduring commitment to excellence in teaching and research, and appreciation for the importance of science in higher education.
The public is welcome to attend the dedication ceremony and reception. Guided tours of Albert C. Yates Hall will be provided from noon-4 p.m. beginning in the building’s lobby.
"During Al Yates’ tenure, Colorado State University has undergone an amazing transformation and can now be considered truly among the nation’s best public universities. I can’t think of a more appropriate honor than to name a facility for him that will help continue academic and research excellence at the university," said Dr. Reginald Washington, president of the Board of Governors. "Al Yates’ academic discipline is theoretical chemical physics, and it seems very appropriate that this building be named Albert C. Yates Hall in recognition of his many outstanding contributions to the university, higher education and to the state of Colorado."
Washington will lead the dedication to Yates, who received a bachelor’s degree in chemistry, along with another in mathematics, from Memphis State University in 1965 and went on to earn a doctoral degree in theoretical chemical physics from Indiana University in 1968. Also speaking is the honorable Lola Spradley, Speaker of the House, Colorado General Assembly.
Following the dedication, all attendees are invited to a campus and community reception for Al and Ann Yates which will take place from 4-6 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom. Both the dedication and reception are part of "Celebrate Colorado State!," a month-long series of events that recognize Colorado State students, faculty, staff and alumni for outstanding achievements throughout the year.
Albert C. Yates Hall will be the third university building named in honor of a Colorado State president. The Lory Student Center is named in honor of Charles A. Lory who served from 1909-1940, and the Morgan Library is named after William E. Morgan who served from 1949-1969.
Yates, Colorado State’s 12th president, will step down as leader of the university in June but will stay on as chancellor of the Colorado State University System for up to a year at the request of the board.
The chemistry/biosciences building is located on the south side of the main Colorado State campus in Fort Collins at Pitkin Street and Center Avenue.