The Colorado State University Police Department is partnering with the SAFE KIDS Larimer County Coalition to host a Bicycle Safety Bonanza Saturday, Aug. 13, from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Moby Arena parking lot on the west side of campus. The event offers fun and educational activities for the entire family including the following.
– A helmet giveaway (toddler, child and adult sizes). A $5 donation per helmet is requested to support the SAFE KIDS Coalition.
– Professional helmet fittings.
– Bike rodeo course to test children’s biking skills.
– Prizes and giveaways for the whole family to enjoy.
Parents are encouraged to bring children and their bikes to the event. Several exhibitors will be on hand to offer additional information and services. The event is sponsored by CSU Police Department, City of Fort Collins SmartTrips office, Recycled Cycles, Lafarge and the SAFE KIDS Coalition.
"Bike crashes occur every day in our city, and we are hoping to raise awareness about the importance of wearing a bike helmet – for everyone on every ride," said CSU Police Corporal Jason Meisner.
Head injuries are the leading cause of death in bicycle crashes. The single most effective safety device to reduce death and disability due to bicycle crashes is a helmet. When used properly, bicycle helmets have been shown to reduce the risk of head injury by as much as 85 percent and the risk of brain injury by as much as 88 percent.
The SAFE KIDS Coalition offers the following tips for safe biking.
– Every time you ride, wear a bicycle helmet and wear it properly (make sure it fits level on top of your head, the straps are comfortable on each side of the ears and the buckle is snapped).
– Learn the rules of the road and follow all traffic laws.
– When sitting on the seat, a child’s feet should touch the ground.
– Always stop and look both ways before crossing a street.
– The best way to ensure that a driver sees you is to make eye contact.
– Avoid biking at night – if you do, be sure to have lights on your bike and wear reflective material.
For additional information regarding the Bicycle Safety Bonanza or to receive free educational materials about how to properly fit your child’s helmet, contact the CSU Police Department at (970) 491-6425, the SAFE KIDS Coalition at (970) 495-7504 or check the National SAFE KIDS Campaign Web site at www.safekids.org.