Colorado State University is commemorating National Hispanic Heritage Month with a variety of on-campus and community-wide events. Activities throughout the month include salsa dancing lessons, keynote speakers and a Latin themed luncheon.
Activities for the month-long celebration are scheduled as followed:
– Sept. 18: Salsa Dance/Concert featuring KIZUMBA Band will take place from 8 – 11 p.m. in the LSC North Ballroom. This event is sponsored by ASAP and El Centro.
– Sept. 22: “Heritage Speakers & Heritage Seekers: Discovering Your Roots at CSU, in Fort Collins and Through Study Abroad” featuring Maura Velázquez-Castillo, Maite Correa and Happy Bennett will take place from 12 – 1 p.m. in the El Centro Center, 178 LCS. This event is sponsored by Foreign Languages and Literatures, El Centro and CSU Study Abroad.
– Oct. 6: “Enrique’s Journey: The Face of American’s Newest Immigrants” featuring Pulitzer Prize winner Sonja Nazario will take place from 4 – 5:30 p.m. in the LSC North Ballroom. This event is sponsored by Campus Activities and El Centro.
– Oct. 7: “Our Newest Neighbors: Single Mothers from Central America and Mexico” featuring Pulitzer Prize winner Sonja Nazario will take place from noon – 1:30 p.m. in LSC 220-222. This event is sponsored by Campus Activities, Women’s Programs and Studies and El Centro.
– Oct. 7: Su Teatro Play “Luis Valdez’s La Carpa de los Rasquachis” at 7 p.m. in the LSC Theatre. This event is sponsored by Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity, El Centro and ASCSU. For more information call Gabe Barela at (970) 491-5722.
– Oct. 7: “A Latin Flavored Lunch” will take place from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at the Aspen Grille LSC. This event is sponsored by Aspen Grille and El Centro. Reservations are highly recommended. For more information call (970) 491-7006.
– Oct. 15: Ninth Annual Evening of Music, Fashion and Dance, featuring music by Quemando, will take place from 7 – 9 p.m. in the LSC Theatre. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. This event is sponsored by Campus Activities, El Centro and Friends of the Library. For more information call El Centro at (970) 491-5722.
El Dia de los Muertos celebrations and alter exhibits will take place around the Fort Collins community at the following locations and times:
Front Range Community College, Larimer Campus Alter Exhibit will be host an event to the public on Oct. 29 from 1 – 4 p.m. and on Oct. 30 from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the Harmony Library Community Room, 4616 South Shields St. For more information call (97) 204-8694.
Poudre River Public Library District will host an event on Oct. 30 from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. featuring an alter exhibit and on Oct. 31 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. featuring an alter exhibit and celebration. Both events will take place in the Main Library Ben Delatour Room, 201 Peterson Street. For more information call (970) 416-2012.
Las Tres Colonias Celebration will take place Nov. 1 from 1 – 5 p.m. at Museo de las Tres Colonias, 42510th and Romero. This event is sponsored by Museo de las Tres Colonias, Poudre Landmark Foundation and Northside Aztlán Community Center Staff. For more information call (970) 221-6723 or (970) 412-4536.
In 1968 National Hispanic Heritage Month began to commemorate the achievement of the Hispanic Community. The month –long event begins on Sept. 15 because it is the day for independence of five Hispanic Countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua.
For more information about the events and activities of Hispanic Heritage Month at CSU, visit www.elcentro.colostate.edu or call El Centro Student Services at (970) 491-5722.