Colorado State University will celebrate the Asian and Pacific American cultures with the 29th annual Asian Fest March 26-28.
This year’s Asian Fest will explore diversity and how gender, ethnicity and other identities intersect and shape our experiences.
A list of events follows.
– Former president of NASPA (Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education) Mike Segawa will be discussing higher education and its future from 1-2 p.m. Monday, March 26, at the Lory Student Center, Room 214-216.
– T.E.A. Time – Luoluo Hong: “A Discussion on Intersectionality” at 5 p.m. Monday, March 26, at the Asian/Pacific American Cultural Center, Lory Student Center, Room 212. Hong, vice chancellor for student affairs at the University of Hawaii, will be discussing how gender, ethnicity and other identities intersect and shape our experiences.
– Oak & Gorski Concert at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 27, at the Ramskeller in the Lory Student Center. Folk bank Oak & Gorski will give a live musical performance. This group has sold more than 30,000 albums and secured numerous TV and film placements such as Dreamwork’s “She’s The Man,” Lifetime’s “A Nanny’s Secret” and “CSI: NY.”
– Women at Noon: Jenny C Lares at noon on Wednesday, March 28, at the Lory Student Center, Room 230. Combined with a spoken word performance, Lares, a poet based in Washington, D.C., will give a workshop that focus on developing one’s voice and using it as a tool for community empowerment and social change.
– Dennis Fryer: “Living as a Global Nomad/Third Culture Kid in America” at 4 p.m. Wednesday, March 28 at the Engineering Building, Room B103. Fryer, a global nomad himself, will be talking about the experience of being a global nomad, or one who has lived in and identifies with multiple cultures.
Events are sponsored by Asian Fest Student Organization, Asian/Pacific American Cultural Center; Campus Activities; ASCSU; Diversity Grant; Global Connections; Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center; Society of Asian Scientists & Engineers; Women and Gender Advocacy Center; and the Women’s Conference Committee.
For more information, visit the web at www.apacc.colostate.edu/asianfest.
– 30 –